Monday, April 11, 2011

Propyl Acetate

Propyl Acetate is a common solvent used as a flavoring due to its fruity taste. It is colorless and emits the odor similar to pears. Propyl acetate has a 2% water solubility and is miscible in most organic compounds. The structure and mass spectrum for Propyl Acetate is represented below.




Molecular Formula: C5H10O2 
Boiling Point: 216 deg. F (102 deg. C)
Freezing temperature of -139 deg F ( -95 deg C).
Density: .888 g/cm^3
Molecular Weight: 102.131 g/mol

Propyl acetate is formed by the esterifcation of acetic acid and 1- propanol by means of Fischer/Speier esterification.


My search for a reaction dealing with the conversion of propyl acetate into a carboxylic acid yielded no results, I did find some reaction involving propyl acetate used in distillation, though no carboxylic acids were formed. I searched the organic synthesis website supplied by Dr. Mullins and still had no luck, if any such reaction could be found by anyone, it would be much appreciated.

Thank for reading!!

Sources:


2 comments:

  1. I apolgize for the black background on the synthesis image. I understand it is nearly illegable. I wasn't aware it was presented this way until after it was posted. Im sorry for any inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my pictures do that when I post them too! I have found that it has to do with they way you save the image, or some of the images just have a back background after you save or copy the images and you just have to find a new one. Now, to your blog. You provided valuable information on your ester. I also thought that the pictures you added provided a nice touch, especially of the mass spectrum. Too bad you couldn't find a reaction with propyl acetate forming carboxylic acids. I looked for you too and I didn't find anything in my search either.

    ReplyDelete